Silent film which shows Nazi jet technology, etc.
"This is a glimpse into the story of Hitler's secret weapons., the guided missiles and the revolutionary aircraft which astonished the world even while the death rattle was in the Nazi throat.
The complete story is yet to be written; but many of the salient facts are here in a motion picture which has been compiled, for the most part, from some 12 million feet of captured German film.
It is a picture of uncanny, devastating machines but also of enemy foresight and perseverance. It is a picture of an investment in aeronautical research and development.
From 1933 to 1939 the German government spend the equivalent of approximately $500,000,000 for scientific facilities and payrolls in the aeronautical program; in the war years several times that amount.
One thing the investment bought was Peenemünde, whence came the V-2, the most revolutionary military vehicle that has been developed to date."
Shot list from the National Archives:
l) ADS Unidentified terrain somewhere in Germany.
2) CU German scientist assembling tail section of A-5 bomb.
3) LS V-2 rockets being fired into the air.
4) UpS V-2 rocket in flight.
5) DS Camera pans from R to L showing control cables on ground from V-2 rocket to control tower.
6) UpS Same as scene 3.
7) MS German officers inspect V-2 rocket before it is fired.
8) LS Same as scene 3.
9) DS V-2 rocket fails to leave launcher, falls to ground and explodes.
l0) CU German E M extinguishing V-2 rocket fire.
1l) LS V 2 rocket takes off, goes a few hundred feet in the air and crashes.
12) CU Showing large hole in the ground where rocket crashed.
13) LS German officers and E M inspect area where V-2 rocket crashed.
14) CU Of HE-111 which was damaged when rocket crashed.
15) CU Remainder of jet engine of V-2 rocket which crashed.
16) LS V-2 rockets taking off.
1) CU Animated drawing of German A-4B rocket.
2) LS A-4B rocket makes bad takeoff and crashes.
3) MS Animated drawing of German V-l buzz bomb.
4) LS German civilians pull V-l rocket across ramp.
5) MS V-1 rocket lying on ramp.
6) MS Early model jet parked on catapult.
7) MS German mechanics working on GO-145.
8) LS German mechanics adjust experimental jet under fuselage of GO-145.
9) US GO-l45 in flight.
10) AS HE-111 releases buzz bomb from under its fuselage while in flight.
11) AS Buzz bomb V-l in flight.
12) AS ME-110 in flight.
13) DS View of catapult which is used to launch buzz bombs.
14) LS Camera pans from R to L showing buzz bomb making takeoff.
15) LS Buzz bomb makes bad takeoff and crashes.
16) MS German anti aircraft guns fire at buzz bomb V-l.
17) VS Buzz bomb is shot down by anti aircraft fire.
18) US Barrage balloons in sky over Germany.
19) AS German fighter plane shoots down buzz bomb.
l) MS Animated drawing of Blohm jet bomb.
2) LS Camera pans from L to R showing Blohm jet bomb taking off from large catapult.
3) LS Animated drawing of Rheinbate rocket on launching catapult.
4) CU Animated drawing of Rheinbate rocket showing its length & width.
5) LS Rheinbate rocket is fired from catapult.
6) MS Animated drawing of the Henschel 293 jet bomb.
7) DS Henschel 293 jet bomb parked in aircraft hangar.
8) CU German civilians attach Henschel, 293 jet bomb to fuselage of HE-III.
9) AS Henschel 293 jet bomb is released from fuselage of HE-III while in flight.
l0) AD S Henschel 293 jet bomb hitting ground target.
11) MS Animated drawing of Fritz X rocket bomb.
12) ADS Fritz X rocket bomb hitting ground target.
13) MS Animated drawing of Peter and Paul rocket bomb.
14) LS Camera pans from L to R showing German plane releasing Peter and Paul rocket bomb over ocean.
15) LS Peter and Paul rocket bomb skidding across water.
16) MS Animated drawing of a Henschel 117 bomb.
17) LS Henschel 117 rocket bombs parked on launcher.
18) LS Henschel 117 rocket is fired from launcher.
19) LS Henschel 117 rocket is fired into the air, flies briefly, and then crashes.
l) MS Animated drawing of the Wasserfall--type rocket bomb.
2) LS Wasserfall rocket bomb being fired into the air.
3) LS Wasserfall rocket bomb being fired into the air. Bomb turns a loop and crashes.
4) MS Animated drawing of F-25 rocket bomb.
5) LS F-25 rocket bombs being fired into the air.
6) MS Animated drawing of the, Rheintochter rocket bomb lying on launcher.
7) LS Rheintochter rocket being fired into sky.
8) MS Animated drawing of soldier standing by Taifun-type rocket bomb to compare its size.
9) MS German soldier prepares Taifun bomb for takeoff.
10) LS Taifun bomb is placed on launcher.
11) LS Animated drawing of the Enzian-type rocket bomb parked on launcher.
12) LS Enzian rocket bombs being fired into air.
13) CU Of the X-4 type rocket bomb.
14) CU Animated drawing showing each part of the X-4 bomb.
15) ADS Unidentified terrain somewhere in Germany.
l) MS Animated drawing of ME-163.
2) LS Camera pans from R to L. showing various scenes of ME-l63 making takeoffs from catapult.
3) MS Animated drawing of the Messerschmitt 163 rocket propelled fighter.
4) LS Camera pans from R to L showing ME-163 taking off.
5) MS ME-l63 parked on runway.
6) MS Rocket engine of ME-l63.
7) CU Two German mechanics assemble landing gears on ME-163.
8) MS Pilot climbs into ME-163.
9) LS Camera pans from R to L showing ME-163 taking off.
10) US ME-l63 in flight.
11) LS Camera pans from L to R showing ME-l63 making landing.
1) ME-262 jet fighter parked on runway.
2) LS Camera pans from R to L showing ME-262 landing.
3) MS ME-262 taxiing on runway.
4) CU Jet engines of the ME-262.
5) MS American pilot climbs into cockpit of ME-262.
6) LS Same as scene 3.
7) LS ME-262 taking off. 8) AS ME 262 in flight.
9) MS Animated drawing of the Heinkel 280 fighter.
10) LS Camera pans from R to L showing HE-280, preparing to take off, being towed by C-47.
11) UPS HE 280 in flight.
12) LS Camera pans from R to L showing HE-280 making landing.
13) MS Animated drawing of the Dornier 335 fighter bomber.
14) MS Camera pans from L to R showing Dornier 335 taxiing on runway.
15) LS Camera pans from R to L showing Dornier 335 manking takeoff.
16) AS Of Dornier 335 in flight.
17) LS Camera pans from R to L showing Dornier 335 landing.
18) MS Of the Walter 1O9-509 rocket motor.
1) MS Animated drawing of German two engine jet bomber.
2) MS Jet bomber taxiing on runway.
3) LS Camera pans from L to R showing jet bomber taking off.
4) UpS Jet bomber drops parachute bombs.
5) MS Jet bomber parked on runway.
6) LS Same as scene 3.
7) US Same as scene 4.
8) US Parachute bombs falling to earth.
9) MS Animated drawing of German pilot-ejection seat.
10) MS Animated drawing of DO-217 German bomber.
11) LS DO-217 taxiing on runway with right engine feathered.
12) CU Of electric clock on wall.
13) MS mobile crane removes right engine from DO 217.
14) MS Engine is reinstalled on DO-217.
15) MS Engines of DO 217 warm up.
16) MS Animated drawing of the Focke-Achgelis 223 helicopter.
17) US German FK-223 helicopter motionless in the air.
18) US FK 223 being towed by FI 156.
19) LS Animated drawing of German Autogiro kite.
20) UPS German Autogiro kite in flight.
21) MS Autogiro kite makes landing.
1) MS Camera pans from L to R showing Dornier-335 fighter bomber and Arado 234 German Jet-propelled bomb.
2) CU German jet bomb is tied to tail of Dornier 335.
3) LS Camera pans from R to L showing Dornier 335 taking off, towing jet bomb. 4) US Dornier 335 in flight, towing jet bomb.
5) LS Camera pans from R to L showing Dornier 335 landing. 6) MS Animated drawing of the German Natter BP-20 Viper.
7) MS Various shots of BP-20 parked on runway.
8) MS Animated drawing shows half of BP-20 demonstrating its construction.
9) AS Unidentified areas somewhere in Germany.
l0) MS Various scenes of German EM.
11) LS Rocket bomb is fired into the air.
12) MS German officers and EM remove parts of rocket from ocean. 13) LS Same as in scene 1l.
14) LS Cover is removed from rocket bomb.
15) LS Rocket bomb is fired into air.
16) US Rocket, attached to parachute, falling into ocean.
17) LS German EM removing rocket from shallows of ocean.
l) MS German divers remove rocket from shore of ocean.
2) LS Rockets attached to parachutes being fired into air and falling.
3) US Rockets falling by parachute.
4) MS Various scenes of German scientists constructing small rocket bomb.
5) MS Rocket bomb under tests in wind tunnel.
6) MS Recording instruments in wind tunnel.
7) MS Same as scene 5.
1) MS Small scale model of rocket bomb in small wind tunnel.
2) MS Animated drawing of rocket bomb in wind tunnel.